originally settled the New Caney area and named the town Presswood, Texas
. However, about 15-20 years later, the name had fallen out of fashion.
The change began when a new railroad came to town, and the new train depot to receive trains was named "Caney Station
." Then on July 7th, 1882 the town's new post office was created by James J. Robinson, who registered it under the new name of "New Caney," and soon Presswood fell out of use completely.
The term "Caney" itself, comes from the name of the dense canebrakes
(sugarcane-like thickets) growing around the nearby Caney Creek. The first postmaster, James J. Robinson, added the "New" part of the name "New Caney," because there was already a town registered as "Caney, TX," located south of Houston.Read more about New Caney >> Read more about the Presswoods >>